The South African Revenue Services (SARS) eFiling ‘My Compliance Profile’ function allows taxpayers to have an online view of their current compliance against specific requirements, as determined by the tax authority.
According to SARS, the introduction of the MCP platform gives taxpayers more information about their tax compliance and allows them to visually identify any non-compliance and take the necessary action to remedy these.
This is why it is important that you regularly view your tax compliance status.
- Visit the SARS Efiling website.
- Logon or Register your eFiling profile.
- Select the correct portfolio and taxpayer from the drop-down list.
- Select tax status at the top menu.
- Select tax compliance status on the left.
- Select activation
- The tax compliance status service will be displayed, and the tax reference number will be repopulated on the screen.
- Read the disclaimer, accept it by ticking the check box and then click activate to proceed with the activation.
- A message will be displayed to indicate that the initial activation of the service has been successful, and all functionalities will be listed under the tax compliance status menu.
- To finalise the activation process, you will be prompted to complete the registration verification.
- Once you’ve completed the verification registration, a successfully activated status will be displayed and click continue.
- The reference number confirmation page will then be displayed.
- To verify the details and tax reference numbers select ‘Y’ on the declaration and click submit from.
- The confirmation page will be displayed, click continue.
- Your “My Compliance Profile” will appear.
- Under “MCP” you can then check your tax compliance status.
- The TCS functionality will be displayed, then select the type from the drop-down menu.
- Individuals taxpayers will have two options to chose from: ‘Good Standing’ and ‘Approval International Transfer’
- Complete the TCS form and submit it and select continue to proceed.
- On the next page a summary of your request will be displayed.
Furthermore, if you are not satisfied or do not agree with your tax compliance status, you can motivate why SARS needs to re-evaluate your tax compliance status.
This can be done on eFiling by clicking on “Challenge Status” and providing a motivation as to why SARS should re-evaluate your tax compliance status. As part of your submission, you can include any supporting documents that may add to your case.Once your request is approved by SARS, you will be issued with an overall tax compliance status and a PIN. You can request that the PIN be sent to you via SMS and you can view it on your “Tax Compliance Status Request” dashboard on your eFiling profile. The PIN can also be printed in the form of the TCS result letter.
The PIN provides you with a way to authorise any third party to view your tax compliance status online via eFiling. Once you have provided the PIN to a third party, the PIN will enable the relevant organisation or government department to view your current tax compliance status online. It will present them with your overall compliance status as at the date and time they check it instead of your status as it was at the date that the PIN was issued to you. To protect the confidentiality of taxpayer information, no other information will be accessible.