As a registered taxpayer you can sign-up to use the SARS eFiling service, which allows you not only to file a return, make payments to SARS or request a Tax Clearance certificate but also gives you access to many other benefits via an electronic platform.
To register as an eFiler:
- Visit the SARS eFiling website www.sars.gov.zaand click on REGISTER; or
- Download the MobiApp and tap on REGISTER
Once you have registered, you can have different roles, for example:
- Acting as yourself when administering your own individual taxes;
- Acting as the registered representative or an employee for a company;
- Acting as an agent on behalf of someone else:
- Registered Tax Practitioners
- Employees with delegated authority from a registered tax practitioner
- Foreigner acting on behalf of a company or an individual.
SARS will recognise you as an electronic filer once your eFiling registration is complete.
Upon registration, SARS will verify the information captured during the registration process. The outcome of this will be communicated on your eFiling registration verification page or via email. If your registration is successful, a One Time Pin (OTP) will be sent to your preferred channel of communication, to allow you to complete your registration.
The statuses can either be registration successful, registration rejected or awaiting supporting documents. If the status is not successful, the taxpayer cannot use eFiling and must respond based on the correspondence received.
SARS endeavours to activate new eFiling profiles within 48 hours where no supporting documentation are required.
Where an eFiling registration is not processed within the 48 hours and supporting documents are required, please go to www.sara.gov.za under the eFiling banner click Login, enter your username and password you created on registration, click Home; User and then Pending Registration, for further requirements regarding the processing of your eFiling registration.
- SARS SMS Channel by sending an SMS to SARS on 47277 from your mobile device.
- TRN (Space) ID number/Passport number/ Asylum Seeker number
- SARS USSD Channel by typing, on your mobile device, a string of characters which comprises of an asterisk (*), followed by a few digits and ending with a hashtag (#) and dialling.
Steps on how to request tax services via the SARS USSD Channel
- Step 1: Initiate USSD by dialing *134*7277#
- Step 2: Select the service you require
- Step 3: Taxpayer Verification – SARS will request you to complete either your,ID/Passport/Asylum Number
- Step 4: Tax Resolution – Upon successful verification by SARS, a response will be displayed
- At a SARS Branch Remember to make an appointment before you visit a branch.
In July 2022, SARS will auto register certain individuals based on information from third parties. This is to ensure that all unregistered individuals, for which third party data is available, will be in a position to complete their income tax returns. An individual who is auto registered will receive an SMS and a letter from SARS notifying him or her of the registration and informing him or her of how to access SARS’s services and what his or her rights and obligations are.