What documents do I need to submit to eFiling?

Copy of a valid identity document, driving licence, passport, temporary identity document, asylum seekers certificate or permit together with the original identification. The original ID is also required when visiting a branch.

  • If you are a minor, a copy of your birth certificate together with a copy of the one of the parent’s/guardian’s identity document. If there is no surviving parent, the death certificate of one parent must be provided by the appointed guardian.
  • If you are represented by a legal guardian, a letter confirming legal guardianship or a court order.
  • If you are represented by a Tax Practitioner/Representative, a copy of your ID is required.
  • Where the scanned copy is unclear, the branch should complete the ‘Verification of ID Form’.
  • Where you do not have the updated ID, but a valid marriage certificate – the change may be made.
    • If only a hand written marriage certificate is available, the change will be allowed – but the new ID must also be presented.
  • Where only a new ID is presented without a marriage certificate or ‘old’ ID, the marriage certificate is required.
  • For changes of surname due to cultural belief, you will need:
    • Original (when visiting a SARS office) and a copy of a new ID
    • Letter from Home Affairs.
    • Supporting documents are required to complete an income tax return. Below is a list of documentation/information that may be required:
    • IRP5/IT3(a) Employees Tax Certificate (if applicable)
    • Certificates received for local interest income, foreign interest income and foreign dividend income
      • If you are married in community of property, the certificates received by both you (the taxpayer) and your spouse are required
      • If you married out of community of property, only the certificates that you receive are required.
    • Documents relating to medical expenditure such as:
      • The income tax certificate from your medical scheme received for the period 1 March and ending 28 February (if you belong to a medical scheme)
      • Proof of qualifying medical expenses paid by you and not recovered from a  medical scheme
      • Completed ITR-DD Confirmation of Dignosis of disability form (if you want to claim disability related expenses).
    • The income tax certificate(s) received from the financial institution to which contributions for retirement annuities were made.
    • If you received a travel allowance or a fringe benefit for an employer provided vehicle, you must have a logbook to claim the business travel deductions.
    • All information relating to capital gain transactions (local and foreign)
    • Documents and receipts for commission related expenditure including a logbook to claim business travel deductions
    • All information relating to the letting of assets
    • Financial statements for trading and farming activities (if applicable)
    • Any other documents relating to income that must be declared or deductions that may be claimed.
Scroll to Top