Rand Stadium was constructed between 1949 and 1951 at a cost of £60,000 with a capacity of 15,000. Over time extensive renovations have been carried out, the first between 1964 and 1965 in which facilities were added, and the second in 1976 which saw the installation of floodlighting. The stadium was adjudged to need serious improvements and it was decided that it would be demolished in 2006. The new Rand Stadium, managed by Stadium Management South Africa (SMSA), was rebuilt as an all-seater stadium and retained its old scoreboard for heritage purposes.
The original capacity at Rand Stadium was 15,000 but a 2009 revamp in preparation for the 2010 FIFA World Cup saw that capacity be extended to accommodate a maximum of 30,000 fans. The refurbishment includes a roof that covers up to 3,000 fans. Even though Rand Stadium has a new look with an all-seater stadium, the old scoreboard has been retained for heritage.