Who owns the name Bafana Bafana? After an 18-year battle with Stanton Woodrush Ltd — which owns the Bafana Bafana trademark for apparel, headwear and footwear — Safa announced on Friday it would buy the full rights to the name. Safa, which had considered changing the team’s nickname, said it would pay the R5 million fee over a 12-month period. The national football governing body entered into a joint venture company in 2005 with Stanton Woodrush — which bought the Bafana Bafana trademark in 1993 — called Safa Licensing and Management (Slam). The football body owned 50.5% of Slam, which controlled the trademark, and Stanton Woodrush owner Wayne Smidt held the other 49.5%. Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula had thrown his weight behind the idea to change the team’s nickname, a globally known trademark, rather than buying the rights. Mbalula said the side needed a stronger name than Bafana Bafana, which means “The Boys” in Zulu. In March, Safa said a three-man panel — president Kirsten Nematendani, vice president Danny Jordaan and Safa executive member Alpha Mchunu — would look into a possible name change.